Friday, March 14, 2014

Compiling Godot from Source on Kubuntu

Hearing about the release of cross-platform, open-source gaming engine Godot, I thought I'd give it a go. After getting the source from github, I hit a "what do I do now" moment? There didn't seem to be anything to run, and I couldn't find any docs that explained what to do.

Perhaps obviously in hindsight, I could have gone to the "compiling from source" page and followed that, but for whatever reason I didn't find it, so here's the process I took to get up and running (using Kubuntu 13.04):

  • There is a makefile in the root of the source code. I tried "make all", but it fell over with the error: /bin/sh: 1: scons: not found.
  • Tried installing scons (sudo apt-get install scons).
  • Make then failed with: scons: *** Do not know how to make File target `bin/godot'
  • Web search led to a Godot forum post that defined the other dependencies that are needed:
  • apt-get install scons pkg-config libx11-dev libxcursor-dev \ build-essential libasound2-dev libfreetype6-dev \ libgl1-mesa-dev libglu-dev

  • Now: $ make all
  • Should get "scons: done building targets".
  • run "bin/godot", this should open the Project Manager.
  • Continue to follow the Godot tutorials.

No comments:

Post a Comment